I am excited to participate again this year in Portland Business Journals' BizWomen Mentoring Monday on April 3rd. After introductions and a delicious breakfast at The Sentinel Hotel, they will set up 40 of us around the room to meet in a "speed dating" format with as many women as possible in short increments. 7 conversations, 7 minutes each.
You might be wondering what you could possibly get done in 7 minutes? And I can tell you having been on both sides of the table at this event, you can accomplish a lot. If you have a goal in mind and you talk to the right person.
My first year attending, I visited with leaders from companies as diverse as Blue Cross Blue Shield to Waggner Edstrom. And I received great advice. We skipped the "get to know" you steps of mentoring. We skipped the pleasantries where we tried to be nice to each other. We went right to the point. I asked their advice and then gave it - unfiltered and extremely practical. I brought questions, queued up behind people who were knowledgable about my topics of interest, and they provided distilled wisdom that I found very useful and actionable.
Last year, I tried to do the same for the people who talked to me. Several of them followed up and we met up for coffee and a longer conversation. I found it very rewarding and hope they received some insights as well. If you were one of the ones I spoke with last time, please come see me again! I'd love to find out what the last year has brought you and what new challenges or opportunities you are facing.
The women they have assembled as mentors this year are a diverse and accomplished crowd of business leaders in Portland from a variety of industries and backgrounds. They include the following, including myself:
- Christy Aleckson, Owner, Single Point Financial Advisors
- Rebecca Armstrong, Managing Director/ Principal, North
- Kyra Bussanich, Owner, Kyra's Bake Shop
- Jeanne Carver, Co-Owner, Imperial Carver Ranch
- Stacey Dodson, President, U.S. Bank
- Angela Dowling, President, Regence BlueCross BlueShield of Oregon
- Debra Dunn, President, Synergy Resources Group
- Jill Eiland, PBA Oncore Fellow
- Angie Galimanis, Owner and President, Lawrence PR
- Alyssa Gasca, Owner, Spark Executive Solutions
- Missy Gerber, President, Organizers Northwest
- Anna Hutson, Founder & CEO, Avenue
- Margie Hunt, CEO, Special Olympics Oregon
- Laurie Kelley, President and Chief Development Officer, Oregon Region Foundations, Providence Health & Services
- Tara Leigh Kinateder, Senior Vice President and Private Client Advisor, US Trust
- Tara Kramer, CEO and Owner, Ri-Ky Roofing and Sheet Metal LLC
- Elizabeth Large, General Counsel Executive
- Ivo Lukas, CEO, 24Notion
- Juliana Lukasik, Principal/Director, Large Films
- Diana Marsden, Owner, Aries Apparel
- Janeen McAninch, President, Becker Capital Management
- Judith McGee, Chair/CEO, McGee Wealth Management
- Serena Morones, Owner, Morones Analytics
- Francine Read, President, VOICES, INC.
- Jan Robertson, Chief Operating Officer, Norris, Beggs & Simpson Companies
- Sara Schmidt, Creative Director, IDL Worldwide
- Ellen Schmidt Devlin, Director, Sports Product Management Program, University of Oregon
- Jennifer Sheasgreen, President, Triumph Healthcare Finance
- Angela Sheehan, CFO, Glumac
- Ann Smith, Founder/Owner, A.Wordsmith
- Janean Sorenson, Vice President, Parker | Smith | Feek
- Suzanne Stevens, Editor in Chief, Portland Business Journal
- Vanessa Sturgeon, President, TMT Development
- Chelsea Vandiver, Executive Managing Director, Ziba Design
- Michelle Weisenbach, President, Oregon & SW Washington, KeyBank
- Michelle Williams, Women Living a Richer Life Program Director, Brighton Jones
- Kimberly Wuepper Rudick, Sr. Financial Planner, New York Life
You can read their bios here.
Register here to reserve your spot!